As you shop for the best Schwinn road bike, one question that you may still have is;- are Schwinn bikes good? Schwinn has been in the business of bike manufacturing since 1895. So, the simple answer is YES, Schwinn bicycles are good.
Schwinn Road Bikes Reviews Comparison Table
|Schwinn Bicycles||Star Rating||Specification|
|#1. Schwinn Phocus 1400 |
and 1600 Drop Bar Road Bicycles for Men and Women
(Editor’s Top Pick)
|4.3/5 rating from 247+ reviews||Sizes: 21″|
Frame: Aluminum 21″ rigid road
Fork: Schwinn alloy/carbon rigid
Rims: Alloy double wall alloy
Weight: 31 pounds
|#2. Schwinn Volare 1300 Men’s Drop Bar Road Bike, 700C Wheels Medium Frame Size||4.3*/5 rating from 247+ reviews|| Sizes: 21″|
Frame” Aluminum 21″ rigid road
Fork: Schwinn steel road
Rims: Alloy rims alloy
Weight: 29.8 pounds
|#3. Schwinn Volare 1400 Road 700C Wheel Bicycle||3.5/5||Sizes: 21″|
Frame: Aluminum 21″ rigid road
Fork: Schwinn steel rigid
Rims: Alloy single wall rims alloy
Before I turned 12, I knew what I wanted for my birthday; I wanted to go shopping for the best Schwinn road bicycle. I had seen my friends riding them around our neighborhood; I never passed a chance to try one out. Now that I was due for a new bike I knew that nothing would do except a Schwinn.
My parents tried to talk me into a Raleigh; they were cheaper and according to my Dad, more reliable and longer-lasting. I wasn’t having it. Eventually, they caved, and I got my first Schwinn road bike. I can’t say I was disappointed. It rode well, it looked good and best of all, I fit in with my peers. Schwinn road bikes remain a popular brand today.
Are Schwinn Bikes Good?
Now I’m all grown up and after owning many different bike brands over the years I can say with confidence that Schwinn is a good bike brand.
Best Schwinn Road Bikes Reviews
There is one thing you can be sure about Schwinn road bicycles; they are hardy, reliable and fast. Even on rough terrain these bikes will travel faster than other models in the same price category and will experience fewer problems.
That said, these bikes aren’t meant for professional riders – they don’t come with the high tech speed specs that some other brands have.
Let’s look at some of the pros and cons of the best Schwinn road bikes:
Benefits of Schwinn Road Bike Models
- They offer a very smooth ride. This is one of the reasons why I remain a die-hard fan of Schwinn bicycles. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned cyclist there is one thing you will notice immediately you start riding a Schwinn road bike; they are smoother than most other bikes in the market. Whether you are riding on a rural road or on tarmac the experience is more comfortable.
- The ergonomic design is another reason why many people choose Schwinn road bicycles. The company designs bikes that reduce strain on the neck and shoulders, meaning you can ride for longer without feeling exhausted or cramping up. Schwinn bikes are good for people who like to ride long distances.
You can rely on the 100+ years of technology that goes into these bikes. The company is as committed to quality today as it was when it was started in 1895. They continue to produce high-quality bicycles that last a long time while offering a good riding experience every time. Finding parts for Schwinn bikes isn’t as hard as for some other models.
- The company produces a variety of models suitable for different biking needs. They have road bikes, hybrid bikes, cruiser bikes and more.
- Companies that rely on German technology aren’t afraid to back their products with excellent warranties, and Dorel is no different. Schwinn road bikes come with a lifetime warranty. If your bike develops structural or component issues thee manufacturer does all repairs for free and you have your bike back in a few days.
- They are affordable. How much for Schwinn road bicycles? If you buy brand new you can expect to pay anything between $250 and $550, which is a decent price for a bike. So long as you won’t be using yours to ride professionally, your Schwinn road bike can last for years.
Cons of Schwinn Road Bikes
- They can do better with the frame. Some people have problems maneuvering these bikes because there isn’t enough leg room especially when pedaling uphill. If you are of above-average height you may want to buy a different brand of bike.
- Because of the design, long bike rides can be uncomfortable for tall riders. The position of the seat in relation to the handlebars forces riders to bend while riding which can be tedious. Short riders will find it just perfect.
- Bike weight has become an issue to take into account today. With so many manufacturers producing carbon frames, cyclists are looking to these because they are lighter and easy to maneuver. Not Schwinn road bikes; they are made of traditional materials which means they remain quite heavy. If you are used to riding a light bike and then try out a Schwinn road bike you will feel the difference.
A short history of Schwinn Bicycles
In order to understand where Schwinn is today, it’s worth your while to take a few minutes and understand just how far they have come. The company was started by a German, Ignaz Scwhinn, in 1895. It is one of the oldest bike companies in the world, and it is solidly based on good-old German technology. He chose to move operations to Chicago so that he could have direct access to American consumers and it worked.
He made a killing. Americans wanted bikes; everyone who had a job needed a bike because it made the commute to work cheap and fast. Chicago was the perfect location because of the booming manufacturing industry. By the 1900s, the company was selling more than 1 million bikes a year.
This good fortune didn’t last. Other bike manufacturers were hot on Schwinn’s heels and by 1905, sales had fallen. This didn’t deter Ignaz, who together with co-founder Fredrick William Arnold and, decided to move into motorcycles.
They continued to sell bikes, but it’s their motorcycle division that was bringing in the big bucks. Their motorcycles were doing so well that they were second only to Harley Davidson and Indian.
By the 1960s, as other bike and motorcycle companies languished Schwinn still had a huge customer base. They were back to selling 1 million bikes annually. This continued until the mid-seventies when the company failed to listen to consumers. People were demanding bikes that were built for specific purposes, such as road racing or terrain racing. Schwinn stuck to its guns, and by 1982 went bankrupt and had to sell to Dorel Industries.
What do people think of Schwinn bikes today?
Dorel did well after taking over the company. They retained the German manufacturing standards and soon Schwinn bikes were dominating the market once again. They have a reputation for producing excellent bikes of all kinds. There are some people who wish that the manufacturer could apply newer technology, but for those who are looking for solid, reliable technology without frills, Schwinn road bikes are a good choice.
Top 3 Schwinn Road Bicycles
The best Schwinn road bikes are Volare 1400, Volare 1300 and Schwinn Phocus 1400. For each, I’ll talk about the features, the technical specs as well as any drawbacks that you may experience.
1. Schwinn Phocus 1600 and Schwinn 1400 Drop Bar Road Bike – 4.3*/5 rating from 247+ reviews
This bike has sometimes been called the beginner’s bike; it’s a perfect choice if you are just learning how to ride. It is good for cruising around the neighborhood, getting some exercise, and short commutes.
The bike has a strong frame, a reliable braking system, and a comfortable saddle. It comes half-assembled, so putting it together isn’t very hard if you know your way around such tasks. Users love the way it looks; even those who have previously owned Schwinn road bikes say this particular model is a cut above others in this price range.
What’s more, it’s made of sturdy but light materials and can be expected to last for years with minimal need for repairs.
The best part is that it is ideal for both men and women. The price is also good.
- It has an aluminum frame and carbon fiber road fork.
- It is made of sturdy, high quality, long-lasting materials.
- A highly sensitive braking system.
- Double-wall rims are long-lasting
- A beautiful spoke pattern makes this bike unique.
- It can be used on hiking trails and tarmacked roads with ease.
Technical Schwinn Phocus 1600 specs
- Shimano 14 Speed rear derailleur.
- A050 shifters.
- Quick-release saddle and front wheel.
- Aluminum frame.
- Rigid fork.
- Alloy caliper road brakes.
- Mechanical rim brake style.
- SR Suntour alloy crank.
What’s not to like?
This Schwinn road bike comes partly assembled and you have to put it together yourself.
Check out Detailed Schwinn Phocus 1600 Review
*If you are looking for a hybrid bike take a look at Best Schwinn Hybrid Bike Reviews
2. Schwinn Volare 1400 Road Bike 700c/28 inch wheel size – 4.2*/5 rating from 331+ reviews
Schwinn Volare 1400 can be described as nimble, fast and agile and is the best Schwinn road bike. This bike has been described as nimble, fast and agile and is the best Schwinn road bike. It is perfect if you love to cruise in comfort. The frame is made of aluminum, which makes it light, and it has an excellent braking system. The tire design allows this bike to travel on different terrain in comfort.
Whether you are a starter or a frequent commuter you have a winner in the Schwinn Volare 1400 road bike. The assembly is a little easier than other types of bikes as crank, chains and frame come already connected and all you have to do is tighten up a few screws. The other parts are easily put together if you follow the instructions provided in the manual. If you aren’t sure you can do the assembly yourself please ask a local expert to do it for you.
What cyclists love so much about this bike is the fact that it is excellent value for money; it rides as well as many high-end bikes and lasts as long if not longer.
- The aluminum frame makes it light and fast and easily maneuverable.
- It has a precise shifting system.
- The large tires allow for riders to go on any terrain with ease and comfort.
- Double-wall rims are long-lasting.
- The seat and handlebar are lightweight for a smooth riding experience.
- Schwinn 700c road bikes come with a limited lifetime warranty.
- The adjustable seat makes it perfect for riders of different heights.
- Great build and quality, designed to last for many years.
- It can be used for commuting and leisure.
Schwinn Volare 1400 Technical Specs
- 53 cm frame
- Steel read fork
- Front suspension system
- Racing style handlebar
- Shimano 14-speed integrated shifter/brake lever combo.
- Oversized 700C road tires, 28 inches high, 1 inch wide.
- Can carry up to 250 lbs
- It has to be assembled on arrival. If you aren’t very handy you have to pay someone to do it for you.
Also known as the Schwinn Volare 1300 road bike, this particular model is known for responsive riding. It is light and comfortable and can be used for long distances. Like with other Schwinn road bikes, you will not go wrong with the Volare 1300. It is lightweight, has 14-speed Shimano shifters and rear derailleur and a comfortable saddle.
Users are particularly happy about the fact that this bike feels very sturdy; it’s made of quality materials and you can expect it to last a long time. Assembly is not as hard as some other models as it comes with a detailed booklet.
This bike works well as a starter bike because it has an excellent combination of good price and top features. That’s not to say that experienced cyclists shouldn’t use it; you’ll get many good years of comfortable rides out of your Schwinn Volare 1300.
- Sturdy, long-lasting, aluminum road frame.
- Quick, precise gear changes,
- Alloy-caliper brakes mean you can stop in an instant in whatever terrain.
- Double-wall alloy rims for durability.
- Sport saddle allows for maximum comfort as you ride.
- Assembly is easy – it takes about an hour and there is a detailed guide to take you through the steps.
Schwinn Volare 1300 Technical specs
- A frame size of 56 inches.
- Aluminum frame.
- Rigid fork.
- 14 speed A050 shifters.
- Shimano rear derailleur.
- Alloy caliper pull brakes.
- 700C wheels.
*Beginner to cycling? Female? Check out Best Entry Level Women’s Road Bikes
Buy Schwinn Road Bikes online
Finding the best Schwinn road bikes online is easy; on sites like Amazon, you will find a variety of brand new and used bikes to choose from. As mentioned, the only thing you have to keep in mind is that if you buy from an online vendor there is some assembly to be done.
Maintenance goes a long way to ensuring that your bike lasts. Check out How to Tighten a Bike Chain, How to Clean a Bike Chain, How to Remove Rust from a Bike Chain and also my Cycling Tips for Beginners.
Schwinn is one of the oldest bike brands in the world, and while newer, more technologically advanced brands are now available, it remains an excellent choice for anyone who is looking for a casual bike. The bikes are long-lasting and reliable and they come recommended for beginners. They are great for teenagers and young people who do short-medium commutes. While this article discusses the best Schwinn road bikes, there are other types of Schwinn bikes that offer excellent value for money.